<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 10, 2002

Jesuits be damned!

Ok, first and foremost, let me state that I have the highest degree of respect for the Society of Jesus. As a matter of fact, it is because of this respect that I am writing this blog entry. Today, over at Mark Shea's blog he has an entry entitled Jesuit Moral Theology 101 where he criticizes a draft memo from the Rector to the individual communities of The Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley.

Then, over at Emily Stimpson's blog, she refers to Mark's blog entry with the comment: Earlier This Week My Roomate Asked Me, " What's So Bad About The Jesuits?" Maura, here is your answer.

The Jesuits are bad? So, naturally I rifled off an email to both Mark and Emily.

Subject: Those damn alcoholic Jesuits!

Mark (and Emily),

I fail to see exactly how this letter shows that the Jesuits are "bad" (as Emily called them). Are bars inherently evil? Should we only consume alcoholic beverages in the seclusion of our own home? I wonder how this would impact the Mass, given the presence of wine and all.

So the Jesuit Order is asking Jesuit priests to avoid scandalous situations. Oh no! We wouldn't want people thinking before they place themselves (even if done innocently) into a potentially scandalous situation.

I see everyone crying for action, yet when action is taken it's criticized. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You just can't win can you?

Deo iuvante,
Thomas Joseph


Both Emily and Mark have replied to me on the subject. I, in turn, have replied back to Emily. I'd like to be able to post the discourse on this blog, but until I get permission (and a copy of the replies back... since I forgot to cc: myself *sigh*), this space shall remain blank.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?