<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 01, 2002

Public Relations

I suppose I have a different spin on this whole "PR" thing. Over on his blog, Mark Shea seems to think that the hiring of a PR firm is so a particular archdiocese can substitute PR for reform.

I don't see it that way. I think it is plainly obvious that our Archbishops and Bishops are having a hard time understanding and communicating with the laity, and they're having an even worse time dealing with non-Catholics. If the Archdioceses of the United States had had PR firms on-hand when this whole thing began to pick up steam, I think they would have received adequate counsel to make better decisions and comments. In other words, I think the scandal could have been averted if someone, anyone had had a finger on the pulse of the nation.

Now, perhaps it's a Good Thing (tm) for the American Catholic Church to have to endure this scandal. It is surely to be a trying time, and only the faithful will persevere. I have full confidence that the Vatican is keeping an eye on our leaders here and things will get better given time. This stigma won't go away anytime soon, but I truly think that what does not kill us only makes us stronger.

I mean, just today we've seen reconciliation and reconciliation is the first step towards healing. We must confront our sins, and then and only then can we be forgiven. I think that a PR firm might just help facilitate this process, rather than hinder it. That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?