<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 30, 2002

I was going to refrain from...

... commenting on the situation involving Gerard Serafin too much, but some of the comments in the comments block of Mr. Mark Shea have gone just a tad bit over the top and I feel the need to give my full view of the situation (if anyone should happen to care).

First of all, let me apologize for my rude and tactless comments to a couple of the posters who came in defense of Mr. Dreher, they were crass and uncalled for, especially in Christian debate. However, while I will apologize for my words, I will not apologize for the intention, because after reading some of Mr. Dreher's latest comments I feel fully justified in feeling that Mr. Dreher is interested in generating more heat than light. Also his pharisaical comments do not sit well with me and I would hope that they would not sit well with most Catholics who attend St. Blogs.

Mr Dreher starts out by stating... and I quote:
I don't know what the full truth about Gerard Bugge is.


And then immediately turns around and calls Gerard Serafin a drama-queen fraud.

Mr. Dreher, if it is true that you don't know the whole truth, how can you go and call Gerard a "fraud"? Never mind a drama-queen? (P.S.: I hope there was no intention to insinuate a homosexual connection there, but given your penchant for inflammatory comments, I fear there was).

Now, I don't know either Gerard Serafin or Rod Dreher from Adam, what I do know though is that Rod Dreher, without all the facts (by his own admission), has gone after, and set the internet after, Gerard like a pit-bull. Why don't we, in a civilized manner, wait until we DO have full disclosure before jumping to any conclusions? Is that too much to ask? In Mr. Dreher's case, I do believe that WOULD be asking too much... a slow news day perhaps?

For me, it is enough to know that the State of Maryland exonerated Gerard Serafin from any and all charges of sexual impropriety. It is also enough for me to know that Gerard Serafin was laicized at his personal request. Neither, at least to me, scream of "child abuser" though Mr. Dreher claims that he is looking into this very matter...

And if I were to receive information convincing me that Bugge is a potential threat to minors, all bets would be off. I'm still looking into this matter.


Like I said, more heat than light.

Luke 6:37 - Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven...


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?