<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 15, 2002

I've been slain

I haven't mentioned my divorce much, partly because I don't know what to write, partly because I'd rather not think about it. Truth be told, I've tried to put it as far away from my mind as possible, trying to get my life back on track, get my work done, get my degree and get the hell out of Dodge... or Oklahoma City as it were.

There are however, circumstances where the subject gets brought up. One such instance was last week when I met one of my friends from my parish for lunch. He had the week off, I hadn't seen him since the divorce and he asked me to grab some lunch downtown. I accepted and so we went for burgers on Friday. The food was alright, nothing to write home about (or a blog entry on) and we made small talk for most of the 45 minutes that we ate. Neither one of us brought up the "subject". I sure as heck wasn't going to bring it up. Eventually we left, I needed to get back to work, he needed to get home. That's when he brought the subject up.

I won't bore people with the details, mostly because it was a private conversation and partly because it isn't anyone's business.

So why the blog entry "I've been slain."? Well turns out that people in my parish have accused me of having an affair, an affair which led me to my divorce. Of course, I have only one word to say to answer this accusation...

Bullshit.

It seems as if some people took my absence from the parish as a sign of my guilt. Whatever the heck that means. Truth be told, the reason why I left my parish, to attend one which was much closer to my new place of residence, was because I thought it might be easier on my ex-wife. I figured if she constantly saw me at church she would stop going to church, and I had feared might give up the Church altogether. I didn't want that to happen so I figured that it would be best if I severed ties, if for only the time being, to give her space to function.

Never in my 30 years of life, would I figure that friends I made in church would turn on me so quickly, so ruthlessly, so completely utterly, without even asking me for clarification.

1 Timothy 6:3-5:
If any one teaches otherwise and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching which accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit, he knows nothing; he has a morbid craving for controversy and for disputes about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, base suspicions, and wrangling among men who are depraved in mind and bereft of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?